Sour Cherry Walnut Conserve
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
7 8 ounce jars
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- Wash oranges and lemons well, dry.
- Zest all three oranges and 1 lemon.
- Cut oranges and lemons in half, remove seeds.
- Scoop out pulp and place in a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Add zest, cherries with any juice, apples and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and boil gently stirring frequently until cherries are soft, around 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Return to a gentle boil, stirring frequently until mixture thickens, around 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in walnuts and liqueur.
- Over medium high heat return to a boil.
- Boil hard for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and test gel.
- If gel stage has been reached skim off foam.
- If gel stage HAS NOT been reached return to heat and boil an additional 4 minutes~re-test.
- Ladle hot conserve into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove bubbles, wipe rims, adjust lids and screw down ring to finger tight.
- Place jars in boiling water bath canner.
- Process for 10 minutes.
- Remove canner lid.
- Let jars stand 5 minutes.
- Remove jars, cool and store.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!