Sonora Chicken Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, skin and bone removed
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili, no beans
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix two soups, chili, picante sauce, milk, onion, cumin, and garlic powder in large bowl.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and spread half on bottom of 13x9-inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Cover with half the tortilla pieces, then half the sauce and half of the two cheeses.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and sauce is bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really liked this and will be having it again. DH was pleasantly surprised because he hadn't expected to like it. I didn't have any cream of chicken soup, so I made it with 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of pepper jack cheese soup. I served this with Western Chili Rice, a recipe from the October 2007 issue of Home Cooking magazine which I have posted to 'zaar.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a Midwesterner, turned Northwesterner for 30 years and finally a Southwesterner. I retired in 1995 and have had time to enjoy, even more, the things I love, like cooking and entertaining special people in our home--family and good friends. Fortunately, my husband enjoys cooking too (one pot meals), so he relieves me a few times a month.