Soma Sengupta Easter Recipes: Spring Pea Soup! a Great Start to
photo by Soma Sengupta
- Ready In:
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb sugar snap pea, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen baby peas, thawed
- Place cream, parsley and rosemary sprigs in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a medium soup pot or casserole, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate. Pour off the fat in the pot.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, celery, onion, leek and sugar snap peas and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock, 4 slices of the cooked bacon and the salt and white pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add the thawed baby peas. Continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes total. Discard the bacon.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and bring the cream and parsley leaves to a boil. Add the rosemary-infused cream to the soup and boil hard for a further 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Using a hand blender if you have one, liquefy the soup. Otherwise, carefully transfer to a blender and blend only until smooth, in batches if you need to. Adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with extra cream, or a few drops of olive or other scented oil. Crumble the remaining 4 slices of bacon into each bowl and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!