Solo Smothered Chicken Breast
The efficency of this quick solo lunch is improved by using canned mushrroms and quality and flavor is not compromised
- Ready In:
- 1 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces (drained weight)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium size cast iron frying pan, heat the oil and butter and stir until the butter nolonger foams.
- Add the thawed chicken breast and fry on one side for 4 minutes.
- Turn the breast over and add the onions, continue to fry for 2 minutes add the mushrooms, and continue to cook for two more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and check for an internal temperature of 160 degrees (F).
- If more time is required, scoop the onion/mushroom mixture on top of the chicken and cook until the meat is completely done.
- Serve with cold potato salad or rice.
- OPTIONAL: After removing the chicken, add one tablespoon of flour to the hot pan, stir and then add the saved liquid from the mushrooms to make a gravy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Excellent, simple recipe. It's surprising how good so few ingredients can be. I used fresh mushrooms, washed and then soaked in a little chicken broth for a few minutes before adding. Another variation is to simmer the mushrooms for a minute or so in chicken broth before adding. And the gravy was almost the best part. Thanks!