Smoky Shrimp Chowder With Andouille
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green portions, sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 lb potato, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil or butter in a large pot or heavy saucepan. Add the leeks and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme, andouille and Cajun seasoning and cook a few more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil; add the potatoes and slightly cover the pot. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, pour in milk and bring to a gentle simmer; the soup will thicken slightly - if it gets too thick add more stock or water.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink.
- Taste the chowder for seasoning and add salt, black or cayenne pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work in health care and love to cook. My mother is from France. I take after her, however with working long hours I like fast simple recipes Monday-Friday. On the weekend Icook those extra special dinners.