Smoky Peas & Potatoes
My mom's signature recipe! At home, this was often made for us - and for company. A nice side dish featuring two favorite veggies - with a SCRUMPTIOUS smoke flavor! You won't be disappointed! Prep time includes stove-top cook time. This doesn't get baked - just stove to table! ENJOY!
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh peas (or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 6 ounces smoked cheese, of your choice (or regular cheese and liquid smoke)
- 10 -15 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- liquid smoke (optional)
- Scrub potatoes.
- Peel off narrow strip around the center of each potato.
- Cook in boiling salt water 15-20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes.
- Cook peas in salt water until tender (8-15 minutes).
- Drain peas.
- In small saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour& milk.
- Cook& stir until thick, smooth, and bubbly.
- Cut cheese into small pieces (we like cheddar, sharp cheddar, or colby when we can't find smoked cheese), and add to sauce.
- (If you haven't found smoked cheese, add 2 T liquid smoke) Cook& stir over low heat until smooth.
- Add 1/2 of crumbled bacon to the mixture.
- Combine potatoes& peas in a casserole dish.
- Pour 1/2- 3/4 of sauce over peas& potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining bacon.
- Serve remaining sauce with the casserole.