Smoky Grilled Asparagus
From Chef Nate Appleman (Food and Wine). I have made this delicious dish on the grill and on my cast iron skillet. It came out great with both.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb thick asparagus, stalks peeled
- Light a grill.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the mayo with the oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, salt and cumin. Add the asparagus and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning, until tender and blistered in spots, about 6 minutes.
- Serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Absolutely delicious! I did have to make a couple of subs. No mayo, so I used about 3 tablespoons of ranch dressing. I had no smoked cumin, so I used regular cumin and about 5 drops of liquid smoke. I tossed both asparagus and zucchini in the mixture and let sit for about 20 min, then grilled in a wok on my gas grill. I will definitely be making this again.
Loved this~ I have had it on the "to do" list since it first appeared in Food & Wine in June 2009! Sad, because it is wonderful. I admit to only having added a couple dashes of ground cumin instead of seed. I also omitted the salt (totally did not need it). My mayo was reduced fat and it worked great! THANKS for a recipe we will use over and over.