Smoky Chipotle Maple Tofu Sandwich
You will love the caramelized onions and the avocado mash as the condiment...so good! This is reminiscent of a B.L.T in some ways....or rather it might be called a T.L.T. This is a keeper! From The Simple Veganista, who says the recipe was inspired by I Love Vegan
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) package organic firm tofu, drained, pressed and thinly sliced (or extra firm tofu)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided (or olive oil)
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- Dijon mustard or stone ground mustard, to spread
- 1 avocado, mashed, to spread
- 3 leaves of your favorite sandwich greens (red or green leaf, romaine, iceberg, etc...)
- 6 slices bread, of choice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari, bragg's (or soy sauce -use less if using soy sauce, may be too salty)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 dashes dried chipotle powder, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together your marinade. Place tofu in a shallow bowl, or pie dish, along with the marinade and let soak for about 1 hour turning carefully once or twice in between.
- Once the hour is almost up, caramelize your onions using 1 tablespoon oil. Heat oil over medium heat, add onions, turn down heat to medium low, stir often and cook until they start to brown and caramelize. May take 10 to 15 minutes or so. Once done, set aside.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil and cook tofu over medium high heat. Add a little extra chipotle powder & salt if desired. Once tofu has browned, gently flip and brown the other side. It's ok if it gets a little crispy too! If you feel it is drying out too much, add some of the juices from the bowl it marinated in for extra moisture. When done, remove from heat.
- Toast your bread. Spread one side of toast with mustard and the other with a layer of mashed avocado. Over the avocado, layer your lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions and tofu. Top with your other slice of bread. You can either eat it as is or slice in half. Serves three.
- Notes: If you don't like caramelized onions, substitute with raw.