Smokey Black Bean Soup
I made this when I was coming down with cold symptoms and wanted a comforting soup that I could taste despite my stuffy nose. I thought it was geat so I thought I'd share. Please note: There is NO substitution for smoked paprika. Servings are totally guessed.
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth, whatever
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika, NO subs
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt, if needed to taste
- fat free sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pot over med heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, and smoked paprika. Bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- At this time, if desired, puree 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup for a thicker texture. Totally optional.
- Add salt, if needed.
- Serve garnished with a dallop of the optional FF sour cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
"Oh my, this soup is awsome!" DH loved it so much that he grocery shoped to make sure I can make another batch again. He included the fresh clentro, that I didn't have for the first batch of soup. We are expecting another big snowfall and that's the soup he wants ready after he comes in from dealing with the snowblower and shovel. I will be making a double batch and follow your recipe as I did before. It will be served with a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime. This time I will be able to add some chopped fresh celentro on top. The best thing about this receipe is that it can be made for the Vegetarians I know. (my grand-daughter for one.) Also, for the "meat lovers", cooked, pork, ham or chicken would work. (I added fresh diced ham in the leftover soup for day two) This soup isn't just good but versiable. Thank you, thank you. This is a "keeper" and a "favorite"!
Very good soup. I made only a few small changes, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. I added a minced jalapeno with the onions and celery. I used a second can of black beans. I pureed nearly the whole batch with a stick blender. I added a handful of frozen corn and several dashes of Mexican hot sauce near the end (after the blending). Then I garnished each serving with sliced green onions, cilantro, diced avocado, and sour cream. Lime wedges would have been great if I'd had any.