Smoked Tofu and Asparagus Toss
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb green asparagus, sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 300 g smoked tofu, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon asian wok seasoning (see note further down)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light sesame oil
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the asparagus pieces and sautee for about 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add tofu cubes and spices and sautee over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, turn off heat and allow to cook for another few minutes. Then add the oil and serve.
- Note: My asian wok spice has paprika, coriander, onion, ginger, chile, garlic, fenugreek seeds, turmeric, fennel seeds, cumin, sesame seeds, cardamom, mustard seeds, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just loved this! However, I had just returned from the market with some super fresh asparagus when I realized there was no smoked tofu in my fridge. How did that happen? I always have smoked tofu! But I really wanted asparagus, so I subbed a big portobello mushroom for the tofu. And it turned out great! My spices were, I'm sure, slightly different. But that's the beauty of this recipe, use whatever spice combo you like, so you're sure to like the final result. Don't skip the vinegar though, I really like the extra zip it added. And wow, what a low fat/calorie lunch I had without even knowing it because it tasted so rich and savory. I'll be making this often!