Smoked Herring With Tomato and Greens (Kentumere)
- Ready In:
- 1 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 -8 tablespoons oil (palm or peanut or a mixture- original is 1/2 cup!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (to taste)
- 2 (3 1/4 ounce) cans of kippered herring fillets (or 1 cup)
- 8 ounces fresh greens, stemmed and chopped (or frozen. Such as kale or spinach)
- Grind tomato in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and red pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add ground tomato and herring and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add greens and simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes more, covered.
Join The Conversation