Smoked Cheddar Souffle
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Adapted from the CHOW newsletter.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups smoked cheddar cheese, grated and packed (about 4 ounces)
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Heat oven to 375°F and place a rack in the bottom third. Generously butter a 6-cup souffle dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, turning to coat evenly and discarding any excess. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. When it foams, add flour and whisk until the raw cereal taste has cooked out, 3-4 minutes. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and whisk in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add hot cream sauce, a spoonful at a time, whisking constantly, until about 1/2 cup of sauce has been added. Whisk egg yolks back into sauce until smooth. Add cheese and whisk until melted.
- In a clean bowl (or the work bowl of a stand mixer), beat egg whites (on medium if using electric beater) until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Increase to high speed and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry, about 2 minutes.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into cheese sauce until no streaks of white are visible. Add chives and remaining egg whites and fold gently to combine. Pour into prepared souffle dish.
- Place dish on hot baking sheet. Bake until well-puffed, golden brown, and the center is set (it does not move when gently touched), 35-40 minutes. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION