Smashed Potato Pancakes
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, pulled from stem
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, diced (oil packed)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- flour (additional for coating or panko breadcrumbs for coating)
- butter (for frying)
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- Mix Simply Potatoes with olive oil, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. You want the potatoes to be fork tender and carmelizing.
- Cool slightly and then smash potatoes somewhat with a fork, masher, or other utensil. There should be good sized chunks left. Stir in remaining ingredients (except butter and additional flour or breadcrumbs), adding enough flour so that you can form cakes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- Shape into patties using about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture. Coat each patty lightly with flour or breadcrumbs depending on the texture you want (bread crumbs will give a very distinct crisp). If using breadcrumbs, you might consider dredging first in flour, then an eggwash (1 egg to 2 T milk), then crumbs.
- Melt enough butter in a nonstick skillet to lightly coat the bottom of the pan, fry each cake until golden and heated through. Enjoy as is, or top with sour cream and extra green onion, cheese and bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!