Slow-Cooker Marinara With Fresh Basil
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Cuisine at Home, who recommends this sauce with penne pasta. I used this sauce for one of our favorite recipes, recipe #204310.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 4 lbs roma tomatoes, chopped (12 cups)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes in a 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in oil. Cover; cook on high-heat setting for 3-4 hours or low-heat setting for 5-6 hours.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender, puree marinara in the slow cooker, or puree the sauce in batches in a regular blender. Stir in basil into pureed sauce.
- Cook marinara to room temperature, then transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate sauce up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. Serve marinara over pasta or use as a sauce for pizza.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION