Slow Cooker Guajillo Pulled Beef Short Rib Tacos
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The meat, cooked with the chilies, breaks down into a luscious meal with little effort. Add some corn tortillas and a green salad and you have a healthy dinner.
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 30mins
- 8 guajillo chilies, stemmed seeded
- 3 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark Mexican beer (Negro Modelo) or (12 ounce) bottle other dark Mexican beer
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- corn tortilla, warmed, for serving
- chopped white onion, chopped fresh cilantro, salsa of choice and lime wedges, for serving
- Working in two batches if necessary to avoid crowding, lightly toast all of the chiles in a dry, heavy skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side, until fragrant but not blackened. Set them aside on a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown (5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, add the toasted chiles and turn down the heat to low. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chiles have softened and are pliable (5 minutes). Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer the contents of the pot to a blender. Add the cumin, pepper, oregano, salt and water to the blender and blend the mixture on high speed until smooth.
- Add the short rib meat to the crockpot and then pour the sauce over the meat. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 5-6 hours.
- Shred meat and serve with warm corn tortillas, chopped white onions, fresh cilantro, salsa and lime wedges. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION