Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I had some leftover chicken from Sunday Dinner that I wanted to use and found this recipe from Little Spice Jar. She used Trader Joe's 21 Spice Salute and I used a Spicy Poultry Rub Mix recipe . See Note.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or substitute more butter)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Rinse wild rice under running water. Place the uncooked rice, chicken breast, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, water, and poultry seasoning in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on the high setting for 3-4 hours or on the low setting for 7-8. In the last ½ hour of cooking, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Allow to cool slightly before shredding using two forks.
- When the rice is done cooking, add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture cook for 1 minute. Whisk the mixture slowly while adding in the milk. Continue to whisk until all lumps have dissolved. Allow the mixture to thicken and become creamy.
- Add this creamy mixture to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Add additional water or milk to your preference if the consistency is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note : Spicy Poultry Rub , 3/4 cup paprika,1/4 cup black pepper,1/4 cup celery salt,1/4 cup sugar,2 TBSP each onion powder, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, Make 2 cups of Spine Mix.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION