Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (I actually like to use sirloin steak)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large onions, chopped (I only use 2 large onions when adding cabbage)
- 2 cups green cabbage (chopped or shredded, can use more)
- 12 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt, to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
- Season beef with black pepper and coat with flour.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add beef and cook until browned.
- Place onions, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, garlic and thyme in slow cooker.
- Top with browned beef.
- Mix tomato paste, coffee and 1 cup broth, making sure tomato paste is dissolved.
- Pour coffee mixture and remaining broth into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours or until done.
- I add salt at the end to suit our taste and stir well.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions, if desired.
- Notes: You can also use lower sodium or certified organic beef broth in place of the regular beef broth.
- I also save time by buying meat that has already been cut into cubes. Sometimes I still have to cut the cubes smaller, though.
- I also cut the vegetables the night before to save prep time in the morning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is very good and easy! I made a few minor changes based on what I had on hand by using 1 can vegetable broth, 1 can canned tomatoes and 2 cups water (instead of beef broth and tomato paste). I also only used one onion - personal taste and a lot of cabbage. Good soup for a busy day! Thanks for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!