Slow Cooked Chicken Curry
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 25mins
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small red potatoes, scrubbed (halved or quartered)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cut 1/4 inch thick on the bias
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooking apple (make big chunks so they do not dissolve)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 - 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (amount is to taste)
- 1 teaspoon instant low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled (minced or grated)
Faux Coconut milk
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 - 3⁄8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional) or 1/4 cup currants (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl or plastic bag combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Add chicken cubes in three parts and shake to coat.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, ginger, and chicken bouillon. Top with chicken. Pour water over chicken mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To make faux coconut milk combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoon of evaporated milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk to mix, removing all lumps. Add remaining milk and cook just until milk thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add extract.
- About 15 minutes before serving, turn slow-cooker to high setting if not already there. Stir faux coconut milk into chicken mixture. Recover cook for 15 minutes more.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if desired.
Fabulous! A veritabe feast for the nostrils and the eyes..........never mind the tastebuds! This is OUR kind of curry Toni - lots of flavour and veggies in it, as well as the chicken - we LOVED it. What I used: Swiss Marigold salt free bouillon granules and LOW FAT coconut milk, only 2 % fat in 100 mls. I used my own blend of home-made curry powder and sultanas for the garnish, along with the peanuts. I LOVE my crock-pot, and this simmered away all day whilst I got ready for my LONG car trip back to the UK! Photos WERE taken, but I have packed my camera - so I will post them later. Made for ZWT4 and VERY much enjoyed thanks! PS - the leftovers are being made into little hand pies for our journey! Merci! FT :-)
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I come from a long line of wonderful cooks and doing my best to hold up that tradition. My great-grandparents owned a coffee shop; my Nana was also a great cook and started the tradition of baking around the holidays, both cookies and fruitcakes. After she died, now a decade ago, our family decided to continue in her honor. The picture above is my mother's (Chef Hot Pans) dining room table just before we packed up our Christmas cookie trays. More that 20 kinds of cookies, many of which are from 'Zaar recipes. <br /> <br />I myself am an amateur cook with a penchant for ethnic foods and spice. Currently reforming my menu in favor of healthy dishes lower in fat with lots of grains and vegetables. My favorite cuisines are Mexican, Southwestern and North African. <br /> <br /> <br />Some of my favorite public cookbooks include:</p> <li>ladypit's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/33588> WW Core Recipes I Have Tried </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>shirl(j)831's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/34888> Can this really be lowfat??? </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>julesong's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/30566> Cooking Light Recipes </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>mariposa13's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/44690> WW & Lowfat Recipes </a> </li> <p><br /><img src=http://members.aol.com/sdnt4life/dpg.gif alt=Dirty /> <br /><a href=http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/?action=view&current=kitchen-special-hot2-1.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/kitchen-special-hot2-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif alt=Image /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif alt=FFF#2 width=50% /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Adopted /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=PAC /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZaarWorldTourFirst.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt=/ /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedHostChallengeBanner.gif alt=ZWT3 /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt=width=50% /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg alt=/ /></p>