Slow Cooked Beef and Red Wine Ragout
From a free cook book issued by Philadelphia (upon the purchase of 3 of their items). I'm hoping to make this in our winter (though a half recipe for 3 when the DH is on night shift due to his allergy issues with onions). Recommend you serve with cooked pasta.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 kg pickling onions (peeled and halved)
- 1 kg chuck steak (or gravy beef cut into chunks)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 125 g cream cheese (light block)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Heat half the oil in a heavy based saucean and cook the onions until browned and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and brown beef in batches and set aside.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and gently cook for 1 minute.
- Return beef to saucepan and add stock and wine and bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occassionally and then add the onion and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the cream cheese with some of the cooking liquid until smooth and add to the saucepan and simmer a further 10 minutes.
- Spoon onto serving plates over the pasta and serve immediately.