Sliced Baked Potatoes
photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, thyme or 2 -3 tablespoons sage
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Peel potatoes only if the skin is tough, otherwise, just scrub and rinse them.
- Cut potatoes vertically, into thin slices, but not all the way through. Lay a spoon next to the potato to prevent knife from cutting all the way through. (A wooden spoon works great.).
- Put potatoes in a baking dish. Fan them slightly.
- Sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake potatoes at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake potatoes for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned, cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft inside. Check for doneness with a fork.
- To microwave: Prepare potatoes as above, and place in a microwave safe dish or pan.
- Sprinkle with melted butter and herbs.
- Microwave on High power for 10 minutes, rearranging the potatoes after 5 minutes if your microwave does not have an automatic turn table.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for another 4-6 minutes on High power until cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve.
- Note: You may substitute 2-3 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice for the fresh, if you prefer.
- After the potatoes are done, a little sour cream on top, sprinkled with bacon bits might be good.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! Made these last night and I did add some fresh garlic in between some of the slices and used fresh parsley, chives and added a little fresh thyme. Used the cheese you suggested and what a beautiful dish as well as delicious. Thank you! Served with recipe#399796#399796, recipe#407195#407195 and recipe#412169#412169 (which we had leftover from lunch).
These are showstoppers! The presentation is outstanding, and I can't wait to 'WOW' my friends with them! I made, as directed, and added a bit of garlic powder (as suggested by another reviewer.) The possibilities are endless though, with many combinations of herbs, cheeses and maybe even bacon (yummy bacon :-) ) Thanks so much for sharing, Karen Anne Newton RN. Made for the Spring 2010 PAC. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Mmmmmm! These potatoes made the kitchen smell awesome! One major change that I'd highly recommend, is adding garlic powder. I also used more butter and cheese than this calls for. The herbs I used were parsley and chives since that's what I had on hand. I took the potatoes out of the oven when they were still just a bit firm, which helped them hold together well. Again, make sure to add the garlic- it makes all the difference!!! Yum!
see 3 more reviews