SL Roast With Onion and Mushroom Gravy - 6-Qt. Pressure Cooker
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sprinkle roast evenly with pepper. Place in 6-quart or larger pressure cooker.
- Add mushroom soup, onion soup mix, beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups water.
- Secure lid. Over medium-high heat, bring to HIGH pressure (2nd bar,15 psi). Adjust heat to stabilize just at high pressure. From moment high pressure was reached, cook 20 minutes. (Check recommended cooking time in your manufacturer's manual.).
- Remove from heat and use quick pressure reduction method recommended by your manual. The recipe recommended running cold water over the lower edge of the cooker.
- Remove lid, directing steam away from you.
- Remove roast, and keep warm.
- Stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to liquid in pressure cooker. Bring to a boil, then cook for 1 minute.
- Serve gravy with roast.
- -- MODIFICATIONS FOR USING ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER, added May 11, 2018 --.
- DO NOT ADD canned condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup during Step 2. The safety sensors of the new electric pressure cookers will give a "Burn" error if you do. (We'll add the condensed soup after pressure cooking.).
- For an electric pressure cooker, cook at High pressure for 40 minutes.
- DO NOT RUN COLD WATER OVER THE LID of an electric pressure cooker for quick release! Allow pressure to reduce naturally for 12 minutes, then you can do a quick release of remaining pressure.
- Add the Cream of Mushroom soup after pressure cooking, before the cornstarch step. If you want to make your own condensed cream of mushroom soup, "This Old Gal" recommends: 1) in a liquid measuring cup, whisk 1 cup cold milk with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch until well blended. 2) Add to pressure cooker pot, press SAUTE button. 3) Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules (or Better than Bouillon), 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, and a dash of pepper. Oh, and add a (drained) small can of mushrooms or 1/4 cup of sauteed mushrooms to make it "mushroom" soup. (Or, if you are a Mushroom Lover, saute 8 ounces of mushrooms on the stove, and add them to the pressure cooker pot at this point.) 4) Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. 5) Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.
- After incorporating the cream of mushroom soup ingredient(s), decide if you still need to add the additional 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water to reach desired consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
I elected to sear the chuck on both sides in 1 tablespoon of oil for a little extra umami. I did without the canned condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, and used a mock condensed "cream of whatever" soup, and sauteed 8 ounces of sliced cremini mushrooms (and next time I'll use 1 pound of mushrooms!). To avoid a "Burn" error in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, I added the soup component after pressure cooking. For easier reference, I opted to load the recipe as I made it as http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/sl-roast-with-onion-mushroom-gravy-6-qt-instant-pot-535868.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to eat yummy healthy foods!