Skillet Gnocchi With Chard and White Beans
In this quick and easy one-skillet supper, toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it off with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette. NOTE: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets. I used mini potato gnocchi and arugula and it was delicious. I added the optional seasoning as my preference was a little more Italian flavor. Original recipe from EatingWell Magazine, Jan/Feb 2009.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 cups chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch) or 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (I used cannelini or white kidney beans)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, dried basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until gnocchi are plumped and starting to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring until the leaves start to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add optional seasoning if using.
- Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with a green side salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Really tasty dinner! The golden fried gnocchi were so good. All the ingredients complimented each other well. Next time I would like to soften up the tomatoes and chard a bit longer before adding the beans. In fact I think this would be great with garden tomatoes and plan to use this recipe in concert with Recipe #204002. Will add fresh garden basil and oregano too. Thanks!Reply