Sizzling Pork Tacos
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, cut in thin 1/2-inch strips
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons guajillo chili powder (or ancho or other medium-hot red chile powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (for best flavor toast whole seeds and grind up coarsely)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 dozen corn tortillas, ideally 4 1/2-inches for serving
- tomatillo salsa, for serving (Tomatillo Salsa Fresca)
- salsa, cruda for serving (Salsa Cruda III)
- radish, trimmed and sliced for serving
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- Generously season pork with salt and pepper; add garlic, chile powder and cumin and mix well massaging spices into the meat.
- Marinate at least an hour, or up to overnight, refrigerated.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat; once oil begins to shimmer, add meat and let sizzle, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep meat warm.
- Heat tortillas on a dry griddle or another cast iron pan, turning them once or twice, until they are hot and slightly puffed; stack them on a clean cloth napkin and cover with another napkin so that they steam.
- To serve: Stack 2 hot tortillas on a plate and spoon on a little pork, top with a spoonful of tomatillo salsa and another of the salsa cruda; garnish with radishes and cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!