Six Sisters' Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
I found this on the Six Sisters' blog and had to try it. I can never get the sauce to thicken in the crock pot so I put the juices in a separate pan, add the cornstarch and cook it on the stove but I posted as it was written.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water)
- sesame seeds
- Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce.
- Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.
- You can also sprinkle more red pepper flakes on top if you want more heat.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was an excellent meal! I did make some changes: made only half the sauce and used maple syrup instead of honey and garlic oil (husband can't handle the excess fructose). I used 1.7 lbs. chicken thighs and also added a teaspoon of ground ginger. Served over rice with steamed veggies. Such an easy and delicious meal - will make again!3Reply
see 11 more