Simply the Best Above All the Rest Banana Bread
photo by SoCalCookerGal
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Preheat oven to 350% and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl cream together the Shortening and sugar. Then add in the eggs and mix. Now add in your mashed up bananas(the blacker the skin on the bananas the sweeter the bananas will be) and add the Vanilla.
- Now mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- You do not need a hand mixer mix everything with a spoon.
- Pour the batter in the greased loaf pan and place in the oven for 1 hour or 45 minutes depending on how hot your oven gets. Test the middle with a toothpick. You should have no batter on the toothpick that means its done.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Make sure your bananas are over ripe. The blacker the skin is the better!
- Now for the Secret ingredient -- it is the shortening. DO NOT substitute the shortening for butter or anything else. I promise this is what makes the crust so brown and YUMMY! I'm not a big fan of using shortening except I make an acception to this recipe.
- I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have through the years =).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this twice. Both times it burned around the edges and did not cook in the middle. It overflowed in the loaf pan and I used a large one. I would think you could easily get two loafs out of this if you increased the recipe by 1/3. I made a mess in the stove twice, next time I will make a little bit more and make two. What did cook was good, but way too much batter for one loaf pan.
Awesome recipe! Was a bit thick, a few of my bananas were a bit on the small side: so I added two more bananas and 1/2 cp H2O. Hit the right texture and made some of the fluffiest lightest Banana Walnut Chocolate chip muffins I’ve ever made! First time using shortening will not be the last!! Even the wife had to admit to it, and after first bite no less lol
Just made your banana bread. I found if you put bread in a cake pan rather than a bread pan it will cook faster. I usually do my family receipt but couldn’t find it so I tried yours. It is similar but only one egg. Sometimes I add a little apple sauce a couple of tablespoons. Watching the time. Will let you know how it comes out. Thanks
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> Thank you CarrolJ for adopting me! <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> Thanks Katzen for putting together my Veggie cookbook, adopting me and the very nice reviews. You're an excellent forum host. <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> Thanks Sydney Mike for the review! <a href="http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/"><img border="0" src="http://cb.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=2776407&c=8329534" alt="Discount Flowershop"></a><a href="http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/internet-florist.htm">Discount Flowershop</a>