Simple White Bean and Pesto Soup
photo by DrGaellon
- Ready In:
- 1 bunch basil, rinsed and dried
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white beans or (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a small food processor, combine basil and garlic; process until finely chopped. While running, add oil slowly until a smooth puree forms.
- Heat chicken stock and beans in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When it boils, reduce heat to medium-low, add a heaping tablespoon of the pesto (any excess can be frozen), the Parmesan and a few twists of black pepper. Simmer 1 minute to blend flavors. Taste and season with salt if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!