Simple Sag Aloo (Indian Potato and Spinach)
- Ready In:
- 8 medium potatoes, unpeeled and cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 400 g frozen spinach
- Defrost the spinach and drain well. Squeeze it to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
- Meanwhile, boil the cubed potatoes until they are almost cooked through (but not falling apart). Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and, when hot, add the potatoes and all the spices, stirring to coat everything.
- When the potatoes have started to crisp up slightly, add the garlic and tomatoes and stir for a few more seconds, then add the spinach.
- If using fresh spinach, you want it to be just wilted, or with frozen, warmed through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required then serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Absolutely five stars for ease and speed of this curry! It has great flavour especially considering a relatively short list of ingredients compared to many Indian dishes. Had to skip the mustard seeds because I was out of them, and cut the oil and chili down a bit, but otherwise made as written. I had fresh spinach and some russet potatoes to use up, which worked out great, (or course, the russets broke apart a lot, a waxy potato would have been better, but this didn't bother me). It's nice to have quick curry recipes like this to whip up, so much better than using any of the jarred spice blends that I've tried. Look forward to having this for lunch this week. Thank for sharing!