Simple Christmas Pudding
photo by Tmom2001
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs (canister type ok)
- 1 cup cherry flavored craisins (dried sweetened cranberries)
- 1 cup orange flavored craisins
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heavily butter a pudding mold.
- Dust lightly with flour.
- In large bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, Craisins, molasses, and melted butter.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to mixture.
- Add apple cider and mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Place pudding mixture into mold.
- Top mold with heavily buttered aluminum foil and cover tightly.
- Bear in mind that pudding will expand some as it steams.
- Place mold on rack in a steamer or large pot.
- Add boiling water until the mold is 3/4 of the way submerged.
- Cover and steam for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Pudding will be firm when done.
- Serve warm with a vanilla sauce or hard sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a high school English teacher. I love to cook, read, and sleep - not necessarily in that order. Unfortunately, I never seem to have as much time as I want to devote to those things!