Simmered Black Beans
photo by Chris from Kansas
- Ready In:
- Cook and stir onion, green pepper and olive oil in medium skillet over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder, cook 1 minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes and thyme; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook over very low heat about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring until beans are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I liked this but I don't think I'll make it again. I wanted a healthier alternative to refried beans with our Mexican meal. These tasted a little like chili without the meat. I topped mine with cheese and sour cream (there goes healthier! :) My DH did not much care for these and I probably won't make them just for myself.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the Kansas City area and have many hobbies including cooking, reading and spending time with my husband and two children who are very active in sports now. I also have an eBay business which is a fun hobby that makes a little extra money! My interest in cooking focuses on making healthy dishes that are more satisfying than the higher fat and higher sugar versions. If I had a month off with no responsibilities, I would spend it at a luxury spa. <br /> <br /></p>