Sicilian Stuffed Mushrooms
- Ready In:
- 12 large mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped
- 4 dry porcini mushrooms, soaked in water
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (aka, toasted pinoli)
- salt and pepper
- roasted red pepper (to garnish) (optional)
- Prepare the bread by taking the inside out of the half-loaf of Italian bread and soak it in milk.
- For the 12 large mushrooms - with a dry cloth, wipe the mushrooms. Remove the stems and mince the stems and set aside.
- Lay the 12 mushroom caps in a lightly oiled shallow pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dice the butter and divide it equally among the mushroom’s caps.
- The Stuffing - saute diced leek with the olive oil, for about 3 minutes.
- Drain porcini mushrooms, chop them finely and with the minced stems add them to the leeks. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess milk from bread you had soaking and chop it small before adding it to the leek mixture. Saute another 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add the Parmesan cheese, Italian parsley and the pine nuts. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the bread mixture equally. Bake at 375’ for about 25 minutes.
- Garnish with a piece of roasted red pepper or a sprinkle of saffron or paprika on each cap.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm one of the original members of RecipeZaar and an active member in the old forums. I loved meeting so many wonderful people from across the globe in what were truly amazing forums and during events on the site which encouraged interaction. I miss those forums and am saddened that this is now just another recipe collection site. I will always come back here as I have so many recipes saved of my own and tried many gems. I hope you are able to find something you like.</p>