Shrovetide Buns- Fastelavnsboller
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 5mins
- Cook potatoes. Drain and reserve potato water. Mash potatoes.
- Mix mashed potatoes, potato water, yeast cake soaked in the ½ water, and the 2 cups flour. Let stand overnight.
- In the morning add the butter, the egg and the sugar, and cream well. Add the lukewarm water, salt and the 5 cups flour. Beat well.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Punch down and roll ½ inch thick.
- Cut into rounds with a cookie cutter and drop each round into hot fat, browning on both sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Roll in sugar while still warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My Family and I moved to South Africa at the beginning of 2007 to be missionaries. My Husband is the Pastor of a church in Eden Park, a township in the Jo'burg area. We are having a great time. My kids love it (3 of them, 1 born here). We have got to do many exciting things( pet lion cubs, feed giraffes, eat Zebra(gross!)and other meats(Warthog was surprisingly the best, go figure) and swim on a beach with penguins, to name a few). I have always loved to bake but just got into cooking since moving over here. There were a lot of things I couldn't find over here(and still can't) that we were wanting so I started searching for good recipes for everything from sausage, salad dressing and root beer,to enchilada sauce, Macayo's baja sauce(posted), and Applebees hot wings! A fellow missionary turned me on to this site and My husband got me a membership for this last birthday. I am loving it!