Shrimp Salad With Wasabi and Pickled Ginger
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, 21-25 peeled deveined and tails removed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 additional tablespoon spent halves reserved
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns plus ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- table salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1 stalk celery, minced about 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 2 scallions, white and green parts sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine shrimp, 1/4 cup lemon juice, reserved lemon halves, parsley sprigs, whole peppercorns, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt with 2 cups cold water in medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and cook shrimp, stirring several times, until pink, firm to touch, and centers are no longer translucent, 8 to 10 minutes (water should be just bubbling around edge of pan and register 165 degrees on instant-read thermometer). Remove pan from heat, cover, and let shrimp sit in broth for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with ice water. Drain shrimp into colander, discard lemon halves, herbs, and spices. Immediately transfer shrimp to ice water to stop cooking and chill thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from ice water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, wasabi, celery, remaining tablespoon lemon juice, ginger, scallion, and sesame seeds in medium bowl. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise and then each half into thirds; add shrimp to mayonnaise mixture and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
These are my "girls" I am a wife,mom, massaage therapist that loves to cook, and collect recipes I collect Southern Living cookbooks,Cooking Southern Style, Gourmet and other recipe collections. I like to curl up with a good cookbook! <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg"> <IMG src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/zaarironchef-participantbanner-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/i-recommend-participant.jpg" border="0" alt="I Recommend Tag Game Player"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/AMBadgeGenTP2009.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> </a><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> "><a href="http://media.photobucket.com/image/3rd place ribbon/danikovu/RanchRiot/Ribbon3rd.png?o=3" target="_blank"><img src="http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/danikovu/RanchRiot/Ribbon3rd.png" border="0"></a><img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/zwtbanner-small-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">