Shrimp in Tomatillo and Herb Sauce
- Ready In:
- Place the garlic in a mortar and pestle with a generous amount. Grind to a paste. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and blend together.
- Preheat the broiler. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place the tomatillos on top, stem side down. Place under the broiler on the highest rack and broil 2-5 minutes, until charred on one side. Turn over and broil the other side for 2-5 minutes until charred on the other side.
- Remove tomatillos from the heat and transfer to a blender, including any juice that may have accumulated. Add chilies, basil, mint, and tarragon and blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan and add the shrimp. Cook on one side for 1 minute then use tongs to turn the shrimp over and cook on the other side for one minute. Remove shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add garlic paste to the hot pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the tomatillo mixture, stir together, and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Return the shrimp to the pan, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce coats the shrimp and the shrimp is cooked through. Taste, season with salt and pepper as necessary, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!