I adapted this from a recipe I got from a former professor of mine. Serve over rice.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 lbs shelled and deveined shrimp (3-4 lbs in shells)
- 3 -5 tablespoons safflower oil or 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
- About 30 minutes before serving, in blender or food processor, blend together yogurt through garlic on the ingredient list at medium speed until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook shrimp in 3 Tbs hot oil until just tender, approximately 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- Remove shrimp from skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In remaining oil (again add more if necessary), cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt mixture.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 5 minutes or until the mixture is slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet.
- Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Like another reviewer, I found this recipe to be quite grainy. I think it's the two teaspoons of tumeric. That's a lot of tumeric. I'm not really sure WHAT made it grainy but that's my thoughts on it. It wasn't *bad* but it wasn't particularly good. It's the first thing in over year that my boyfriend said "you don't have to make this again."Reply
see 11 more