Shrimp & Crab Etouffee
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion
- 6 green onions
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 celery ribs
- 3⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp, shells on
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 lb crabmeat
- extra salt
- cooked rice or angel hair pasta
- In a food processor, finely chop onions.
- peppers, celery, parsley, and garlic.
- Melt butter in a large pot over med-high heat.
- Add flour to make a roux and stir constantly until light brown (about the color of peanut butter).
- Add the chopped vegetables and let them cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While this is cooking, peel and devein shrimp.
- Save the shells and make a stock by boiling them in the water and seafood seasoning 8-10 minutes, then strain.
- When the veggies are done, add stock and stir.
- Simmer, then add remaining seasonings (be sure to taste before adding the salt, it is real easy to add too much salt).
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to eat, add the crab and shrimp.
- Cook until shrimp are tender; don't over cook- they will get tough.
- Serve over cooked rice or angle hair pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is delicious and flavorful. Having lived in the south, I prefer to make it with crawfish instead of shrimp and crab. In MN we are able to buy frozen crawfish at Walmart. I strain the crawfish and put hot water in the crawfish package to get the oil and bits left behind and use that for the stock. I also use creole seasoning instead of cajun and serve over plain rice. My father-in-law said he would order it in a restaurant - and he doesn’t like onions! NOTE: the roux is short 1 tbsp of flour. A roux should be equal fat and flour. I made this 3 times and each time I ended up thickening it with cornstarch and feeling like I failed because it should be thicker. At 3am it hit me that the roux was the problem. So I made another bit of roux and added it to the etouffee and now it is perfect!
Oh dear, woman! This was exceptional. I followed the ingredients exactly, but changed a few things. I boiled the shrimp stock first- and then sauteed the veggies lightly. I added the veggies to the stock to release some of their juices to it. I made the roux seperately and added it later. I only did this because I tend to burn the roux if cooked with the veggies...It is just how I am, I am afraid. I have a dozen etoufee' recipes and this is just as good- but perhaps easier- than most. Good recipe, dear. Thank you
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Well, in trying to make a few corrections on my about me page, I managed to delete all the banners I have had in the past. So bear with me as I try to rebuild this mistake <img src=http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Contest%20Banners%20-%20Feb%202010/05-1-1-1-1.jpg border=0 alt= />.<img src=http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Contest%20Banners%20-%20Feb%202010/beans3Participant-1.jpg alt= width=300 height=200 /><a href=http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Contest%20Banners%20-%20Feb%202010/beans3Participant-1.jpg><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/Sharon123CookathonParticipationSticker.jpg alt= width=406 height=111 /></a><a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v51/tiggrr34/?action=view?t=HolidayOrnamentSwapTag2c-1-1-1.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/tiggrr34/HolidayOrnamentSwapTag2c-1-1-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/vjuhl/MEPcookathon.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/dcmac/dpg11.gif alt= /></a></p> <p> </p>