Shrimp and Rice Skillet Dinner
photo by BriarCraft
- Ready In:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, very thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (I prefer S&W Ready-Cut tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- louisiana hot sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions in chicken broth and enough water to equal 2 1/2 cups liquid.
- Meanwhile, chop bacon and vegetables. Saute in a large skillet with butter.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and parsley. Cover and simmer until vegetables are almost, but not quite, cooked to your liking. Add a few tablespoons water, as needed to keep everything moist.
- Wash shrimp. If they smell "fishy", soak for 5-10 minutes in salty ice-water, then rinse and drain.
- Add shrimp to skillet. Cover and cook on medium heat 3-5 minutes, depending on size of shrimp. Shrimp is done when it is no longer semi-transparent and has taken on a pinkish-orange color. Do not overcook, as this will make the shrimp shrink and become tough.
- Stir in lemon juice and cooked rice. If mixture looks too dry, add a few tablespoons of water. Season to taste with hot sauce and salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Member since 2003, when it was RecipeZaar.