Shrimp and Grits -- Southern Style
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced and divided
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine lemon juice, hot sauce and raw shrimp. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. (While bacon is cooking bring 5 cups water to a boil in a separate saucepan for grits.) To the skillet add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to dripping and bacon pieces; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shrimp mixture, broth and 1/4 cup green onions. Cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
- While shrimp are cooking, add quick cooking grits to boiling water, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter, salt and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- To serve, pour grits in shallow bowl. Heap shrimp on top of your serving of grits with remaining cheese and green onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a stay at home MOM who spends a lot of time cooking for my family. It is one of my main hobbies. I am also an avid quilter and reader. I love trying new recipes and often have more on my list to try than I will ever get around to making. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">