Shrimp and Corn Chowder
photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces crab claw meat, sorted
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or (14 1/2 ounce) can shrimp broth
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the shrimp, crab,onions, garlic, and bell peppers in the butter for about 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add the soups, corn, broth, milk/cream, cream cheese, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with french bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is delicious even with my lower fat options! I also used healthier/low sodium chicken broth and soups. For the lower fat options I used WW cream cheese and non-fat half and half. My frozen shrimp was the already cooked type, so I added the shrimp (still half frozen) after I added the soups/milk step (step 2) and I skipped the crab. Next time I will use the crab too! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having again soon!