Shrimp and Artichoke Soup
This is a recipe I received while attending The New Orleans School of Cooking. It is wonderful and I have not changed a thing on it.
- Ready In:
- 2 (12 ounce) cans artichokes, quartered
- 1 quart chicken stock, strong
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- cajun seasoning (I use Joe's Stuff Seasoning)
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped green onions (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 - 1 lb shrimp, medium sized, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Rinse the artichokes.
- Combine artichokes, chicken stock, 1 cup of the green onions, salt to taste, Joe's Stuff seasoning to taste and thyme in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 12 minutes.
- In a skillet combine butter and flour for a light roux and slowly add to the simmering pot. Stir in heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer for 5 more minutes. Note: Prep time can be reduced if you purchase your uncooked shrimp already peeled and deveined.
- Serve with freshly chopped green onions and parsley for garnish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION