Shredded Barbecue Chicken and Chips
Made this up and the family liked it. It will be spicy or not so spicy depending on the BBQ sauce you use!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb leftover cooked chicken (cut up or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 - 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2-1 cup monterey jack cheese
- sour cream (optional) or plain yogurt (optional)
- Chop or shred the chicken and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper until soft. Add garlic at the last 1-2 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken, barbecue sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and water and simmer until heated through (maybe 5 minutes or so).
- Either add the cheddar cheese at this point and stir until melted, OR save to sprinkle on top of chicken.
- Give each person some tortilla chips and top with chicken mixture. Add optional cheese.
- Top with some sour cream or plain yogurt, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
The flavor was excellent. I subtracted a star just because the sauce was just too runny even though I put the cheese in at first prompt to thicken it up. I eventually put the whole 2-cup bag of cheese into the sauce but it still had too much liquid. Next time...no water. It was not needed. I would eat this thrown on a bun, too!
These were a huge hit at my house! My son and his gf plus three Repo Guys all inhaled these. I made this exactly as written except that I doubled the recipe, and it was a good thing I did! I used the Scoops type chip and piled them on a tray and tossed them in the oven to melt the cheese, they came out great! Thanks WI Cheesehead! Made for the Potluck Tag (January) Bring a Friend Event.
I used my Roasted Chicken Breast recipe (not posted yet) to make this today. My BBQ sauce was Sweet Baby Ray's I love that stuff. This was easy to make. You may need a fork to help heap some of the chicken onto the chips. I will be making this again. Thank you for posting. Made for the *Recipe Swap 14* game 2008 in the Aussie/NZ forum. Our group was *The Kumara Kids* Group 28