Shortcut Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Ready In:
- 2 (12 ounce) cans corned beef (from the canned meat aisle)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 large onion (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Fry bacon and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Drain off all but about 2 T bacon grease.
- Slice onion if using and add to pan along with cabbage which has been cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Begin sauteing the above.
- Open the cans of corned beef and"chunk" the meat, either with a fork or your fingers and add to the pan of cabbage and onion.
- Continue cooking until the cabbage and onion are soft and the meat is heated through.
- Season very well with salt and pepper (to your taste).
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe inspired us to try the canned corned beef but in the end modified by adding thawed frozen baby carrots and potatoes cut small to the bacon grease saute as well as used all the bacon grease for the saute and not just 2 Tbs, and cooking in two bottles of guinness beer with lots of salt, pepper, and celery seed. With changes turned out well enough but will most definitely do the "real" corned beef from now on. Bacon was a terrific new addition and will continue that for future corned beef recipes!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a Marine Corps wife and mother of two children with skin and three with fur. I consider myself a "southern cook", but I love to try new stuff, too. I'm also a registered nurse and my specialty is Neonatal ICU. We are currently stationed near Washington, DC and we really, really could not hate it more. We are not big city people. We prefer the quiet mountains of Vermont, where my husband is from. I am into my own spirituality, and love to study religions of different kinds.