Short Ribs With Shallots
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- Sprinkle the ribs with 1/4 teaspoons each of the salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown the ribs in batches.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Drain the fat from the pan and add the onion, carrot, thyme and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, broth and 2 teaspoons of the mustard.
- Bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking up with a potato masher.
- Return the ribs and any accumulated juices to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and braise in a 325 degree F oven for 2 hours.
- Add the shallots.
- Braise, covered, until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the ribs and shallots to a deep platter and keep warm.
- Skim off the fat in the pan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining mustard and pour over the ribs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>