Sherried Sweet Potatoes and Apples
photo by I'mPat
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 40mins
- In a kettle, combine the sweet potatoes with enough water to cover by 1 inch and boil for 35 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and let them cool until they can be handled. The sweet potatoes may be prepared in advance and kept chilled overnight.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them lengthwise into sixths, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Peel, core and cut the apples lengthwise into sixths and crosswise into 11/2-inch pieces.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the apples in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, the brown sugar, the cinnamon and the sherry. Bring to a boil, and simmer 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring gently, for 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Transfer to a heated serving dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I scaled this back for 3 serves and I did wrap my sweet potatoe in alfoil and roasted in the oven and peeled and cut into big bite size pieces, I used 1 large granny smith, peeled, cored and quartered, cut in half and each slice cut into three. For diabetics who can tolerate artificial sweeteners I would recommend splenda, hence I cut back on the apple and used brown sugar. But WOW we (DM, DS and myself) really enjoyed this with our lamb chops (recipe #226237) and steamed vegetables. Thank you Mikekey for a great recipe, made for Please Review My Recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
WARNING: Make my recipes if you want, but I am no longer an active member and will not acknowledge reviews, photos or answer questions via z-mail. I find this site to be pretty useless without the forums. I can find recipes on a lot of different websites.