Shells-N-Cheese Taco Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground beef
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- chili powder
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can del monte stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) box velveeta macaroni shells and cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 3 cups sargento four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- additional shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- black olives (chopped or sliced)
- chopped tomato
- jalapeno, rings
- In deep frying pan, cook beef (lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin), and onion til done. Drain grease.
- Stir in taco seasoning, picante sauce, water and stewed tomatoes. Break up tomatoes.
- Simmer at least 10 minutes til water has evaporated and sauce is thickened. Meanwhile, in saucepan; make shells and cheese according to package directions, using lowest time alotted for cooking of shells.
- Fold shells and cheese mixture into beef mixture.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- I used a 1 ½ quart glass baking dish just slightly smaller than my 13x9 one.
- Top evenly with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese with paprika. Sprinkle lightly with oregano using about 1/2 teaspoons.
- Bake in 350º oven, uncovered for 20 minutes, or til hot .
- Top each serving with shredded lettuce, more shredded cheese, sour cream, and sprinkle with black olives, chopped tomato and jalapeno rings if desired.
Join The Conversation
Very Yummy. Will make again soon. Thank you-------- Made this again for dinner tonight. I didn't have the stewed tomatoes so I subbed diced tomatoes in sauce. It was still delicious. I topped mine with sour cream and quacamole. I also took a huge batch of it over to my neighbor who raved about it. Thanks again Kelly.