Shallot Sage Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Prep time includes rising time.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2⁄3 cup shallots, finely chopped or 2/3 cup green onion
- 6 1⁄2 - 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet melt the 1 tbsp butter,cook shallots 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,stir together 2 cups of the flour,yeast and sage,set aside.
- Heat and stir water,butter,sugar and salt just until warm (120-130) and butter almost melts.
- Add shallots and water mixture to flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds,scraping bowl.
- Beat on high speed 3 minutes.
- Stir in as much of the remaning flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough of the remaning flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl,turning once.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double,about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide in half.
- Cover,let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease 2 baking sheets,set adide.
- Shape each half of the dough into a 6 inch round loaf,tucking edged beneath.
- With a sharp knife make 3 wvwnly spaced 3 inch cuts toward center of rounds.
- Place rounds on prepared baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double,30-40 minutes.
- Bake in 375 oven 40 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION