Shakshuka Burrito With Roasted Pepper Salsa and Tzatziki
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
For the roasted red pepper salsa
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon mint
- kosher salt, to taste
For the quick tzatziki
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus more to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill, plus more to garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, to garnish
- paprika, to garnish
For the Shakshuka breakfast burrito
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into half rounds (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into1/4 inch dices (about 1 cup)
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch dice (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dices (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups Baby Spinach
- 8 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 8 eggs
- 2 small avocados, sliced
- To make the roasted red pepper salsa: Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is well combined but still has a slightly coarse texture. Season to taste. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- To make the quick tzatziki: Mix together all the ingredients and season to taste. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve. When ready to serve, put in a bowl, top with extra virgin olive oil, paprika and chopped mint and dill.
- To make the Shakshuka breakfast burrito: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt on a sheet tray. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to blister and burst.
- Season the eggplant slices with salt and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let sit at least 10 minutes to release the excess moisture from the eggplant and then chop into ¼-inch dice.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add in the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and lightly brown. Add the garlic, spices and 1 teaspoon salt and cook another 1-2 minutes or until the spices are toasted and very fragrant. Stir in the sweet potatoes and cook, about 5-7 minutes, or until lightly brown. Next add in the eggplant and cook another 5 minutes until the eggplant begins to soften. Add the remaining vegetables, cover with a lid and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring as needed, or until the vegetables are tender and the eggplant has broken down. The eggplant will have the texture of refried beans. Remove from heat and stir in the baby spinach.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat add a splash of olive oil. Fry the eggs, in batches if needed, to your desired temperature. Set aside.
- On a clean work surface lay out 1 tortilla. Spread 1 tablespoon of quick tzatziki over the bottom third of the tortilla, leaving a ½-inch border. Spread 1 tablespoon of roasted tomato salsa over the yogurt sauce. Next evenly layer 1 cup of the cooked vegetables over the sauces and 4-5 roasted tomatoes, followed by 1/4 of a sliced avocado and a fried egg. Fold the bottom of the burrito up over the filling as much as possible. Fold the two sides into the center and then continue rolling the burrito until closed. Repeat building the remaining burritos.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and place the burritos seam side down on the hot pan to seal the burrito completely. Serve immediately with the extra quick tzatziki and roasted tomato salsa.
- Nutrition Info Per Serving (minus extra tzatziki and roasted tomato salsa).
- Calories: 525.
- Total Fat: 29 grams.
- Saturated Fat: 8 grams.
- Total Carbohydrate: 53 grams.
- Sugars: 11 grams.
- Protein: 18 grams.
- Sodium: 802 milligrams.
- Cholesterol: 188 milligrams.
- Fiber: 15 grams.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!