Sesame Chicken in Acorn Squash
- Ready In:
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, split
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or 1 fresh chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch strips
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced and blanched
- 20 snow peas, blanched
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small flowerettes, blanched
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and let sit overnight in the refrigerator, or at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the squash halves, cut-side down, in a baking pan.
- Add ½ inch water and bake until squash are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before the squash is done, combine flour and sesame seeds.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and strain the marinade.
- Roll the chicken strips in the flour mixture.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and sauté the chicken for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Pour off excess butter and crumbs.
- Deglaze the skillet with ¼ Cup of the reserved marinade.
- Add the carrots, snow peas, and broccoli and cook just enough to heat the vegetables.
- Add the chicken strips and toss well.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables spilling over the squash halves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!