Seriously Seasoned Black Bean Soup
photo by jrusk
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced (or 1/4 cup chopped onion)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in large pot. Saute scallions, celery, jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add all spices, (except for balsamic vinegar). Cook two more minutes.
- Add Rotel tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes. Add black beans and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar.
- When beans are well heated add mixture to a blender and puree in batches. Add all batches back to pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Top with fat free sour cream, cheese or onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I LOVE to cook...it is very relaxing to me. A big THANKS to all the cooks on this web site for sharing their recipes and always giving me wonderful meals to make. <br /><br />Our pugs, Norman and Otis are the biggest foodies we will ever know. <br /><br />I'm another one of "those people" that read cookbooks like novels. I'm forcing myself not to buy anymore! because I don't really cook from them I just like to read them. I prefer using my cookbooks and recipes online because they take up less space and are always accessible. <br /><br /><br /><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket" /></p>