Seneca Ghost Bread
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup dry milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1/4 cup lard
- In a bowl combine all except the shortening or lard.
- Mix until batter is smooth.
- In a skillet heat shortening or lard on medium heat till melted.
- Using a wooden spoon scoop a large spoon full from the bread batter and place it in the shortening.
- Let cook about 30 seconds or until bottom is firm enough to slip spatula under and flip over.
- Carefully turn the dough over and press with spatula to flatten.
- You may have to press it down several times.
- When it gets light brown around the edges turn it over and cook till edges are browned.
- Serve warm or place in baggies after cooling and eat as desired.
Join The Conversation
Wow! I've spent years trying to find a fry bread that came close to my grandmother's. This is it!! Thank you so much for posting this and I'm sure I will use it for a long, long time. I also had to add a bit more water, but not a problem. This bread is awesome with cinnamon sugar and butter or by itself.