1. Place butter and canola oil in a heavy-bottomed, wide skillet with a lid and melt over medium heat.
2. Add semolina and stir constantly on medium heat, until the semolina is cooked and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine sweetened condensed milk and boiling water in a small saucepan and keep hot over medium low heat.
4. When the semolina develops its golden color, immediately add the hot milk (be careful, it may splatter) mixture through a sieve, mix, cover and let it cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring the halva every 5 minutes with a spatula.
5. Take the skillet off the heat, place a couple of paper towels over the skillet and secure by placing the lid. Let steep for 15-20 minutes until extra moisture is absorbed.
6. Stir pine nuts and pistachios into the halva. Put about 1/2 cup warm halva into each of four to six bowls.